Mobile Home Siding Replacement Guide And Tips
Siding is the outer layer or cladding of a house. Its purpose is to protect the house from weather effects. Selecting the right siding helps the homeowner to prolong the life of the mobile home. Below are different types of mobile home siding replacement materials used;
Common Signs That It's Time To Replace Siding
This is popular because it is light and termites cannot damage it. However, it corrodes and has high maintenance expenses and labor intensive. It is essential to remove leaves and debris often to help prevent rusting. Very wet weather causes aluminum oxidation, which results to a faded appearance. You can pressure wash and paint the siding.
Home owners select log siding to create a rustic appearance. This siding is manufactured with half round logs and is joined with staples, nails or screws. The logs can be made of fiberglass or other light weight materials. It is termite resistant and easy to maintain. Log siding needs regular painting or coating after a few years.
This is the most popular mobile home siding material. Vinyl is lightweight, lasting and easy to clean. There are different types of colors and is easy to paint when the color begins to fade. Mobile homes are normally located in rural areas where dust leaves and mold can be an issue. Use a pressure washer to clean discolored and stained vinyl siding. In very cold weather, vinyl siding becomes brittle.
Wood siding is heavy and can exert pressure on the mobile house. It cannot be cleaned often since excessive water can make it rot. Wood siding is pre-treated against termites but it is not entirely safe from termites. The best maintenance alternative is to close the joints and paint the siding. The main benefit of using wood siding is the ability to change the look every few years with a new color design
Increased Heating and Cooling Bills
When a house heating and cooling expenses goes up that could be a sign that a house require new siding. It may be a damaged roof or lack of attic insulation.
Rotting or Warping
You need to do a thorough home siding inspection. Use a rather sharp object like a screwdriver. Check out for warped siding or rotting boards. To find how solid the under layer is ensure that you poke under any warped siding. In case the layer is soft or has begun to rot, the home siding need immediate replacement.
Peeling paint can be a sign for mobile home siding replacement. Poor siding allows moisture to penetrate through wall board and can later cause considerable damage to the interior house walls.
Fungus, Mold, or Mildew
Growth such as, fungus, mold or mildew on a house siding, particularly near the seams may be a sign that water is seeping through. Although not all signs of fungus, mildew or growth indicate need for replacement, such growth should be investigated immediately.
A step by step tutorial to installing the siding on a mobile home:
1. Access the damaged section and cut off any excess siding that is sticking out.
2. Tap the edges of the damaged siding mildly using a rubber mallet until the siding becomes straight compared to bordering siding panels.
3. Measure the whole damaged section using a measuring tape and create a square patch. Use a pen and notebook to note down the measurement
4. Add six extra inches all around. The extra inches will act as an overlap for the rivets to secure the patch to the section that is not damaged.
5. Measure the siding to be used to create the patch. Apply a pencil and a carpenter square to mark the square patch.
6. Using tin snips cut the square siding patch and trim the side burrs. Place the square patch on the damaged siding section. Ensure that you overlap the damaged section with the patch six inches around the square. Draw an outline around the square patch using a pencil.
7. Put the patch on a vise and clamp the vise down around the patch. Drill pilot holes on the top, bottom and sides of the patch using a drill. Ensure that it is the same size as the pop rivets. Place each pilot hole almost one inch apart, loosen the vise and rotate the patch as required.
8. Remove the patch from the vise and press it against the square pencil marking across the damaged section of the siding. Complete drilling out every pilot hole into the siding. Slip a pop rivet into every corner of the patch to keep the patch in position.
9. Apply silicone around the whole patch. Use your fingers to spread the silicone evenly across the edges for a perfect mobile home siding replacement.
Del Rio, Suffern, Sebring, Norwalk, Bryan, Deerfield, Seguin, Alaska, Cambridge, Lincolnton, Cedar Falls, Macomb, Coronado, Mission, Acworth, Hawthorne, Oak Park, Bradley, Lakeville, Derby, Memphis, Greenacres, Danville, Alabama, Maine, Elmwood Park, Florissant, Princeton, Missouri, Highland Park, Edmond, West Chester, Michigan, Morganton, O'Fallon, Lodi, Lockhart, Vermont, Sharon, Montclair, Lower Burrell, College Station, Yucca Valley, Merriam, Wilton Manors, Hanover Park, Salisbury, Urbandale, Sylvania, Murray, Northampton, Palm Coast, Englewood, Ormond Beach, Urbana, Aberdeen, Tacoma, Beloit, Red Wing, Middletown, North Carolina, Coshocton, Hawaii, Fall River, Arvin, Lake Forest, West Virginia, River Forest, Sauk Rapids, Pawtucket, Irmo, Geneva, Newark, Waco, Baltimore, High Point, Milton, Palatka, Florence, Baytown, Montana, Danville, Berea, Antioch
How to Repair Mobile Home Roofs
By Glenn Whitehead
One of the most common problems for Mobile Home owners is roof leaks. Due to the use of lower cost materials, many models (especially the older ones), just don't hold up well to the elements. Many of the newer models have composition shingle roofs and repairs are similar to conventional homes.
[READ FULL ARTICLE]
Financing For a Mobile Home - Getting Your New Double Wide is Not That Hard!
By Gressly Stevens
Are you getting sick of being told no whenever you try to get financing for a mobile home? Do you want to know where to look for the right loans and for the financing you need to get that new home you are after even if it is a mobile? There are ways to get the money you need and there are ways to find the lenders that will deal with you even if you do not have good credit. Here is what you must know about getting your loan.
[READ FULL ARTICLE]
Static Caravans For Sale - For Permanent Use Or Just Temporary
By Paul Neidalos
When you want a cheap housing solution, it is wise to take a look at the static caravans for sale in your area. They are a great option for those who cannot yet buy a house and need time to save up. However, they are similar to automobiles in that they should only be used for a decade or two. So, these homes are, in most circumstances, by no means permanent.
[READ FULL ARTICLE]
Homeowners Insurance for a Mobile Homes in Michigan
By Deborah Mills
Michigan rates in the top ten percent of states with the most mobile homes. On average approximately 3,000 new mobile homes are sold in this state each year. With this many people opting for this affordable housing alternative, more and more insurance companies are now...
[READ FULL ARTICLE]